Friday, June 02, 2006

My first couple of weeks within the belly of a multi-billion dollar corporate beast was interesting to say the least. The company has dozens of systems, dozens of ongoing projects, and is short about a dozen critical technical employees. That means there’s plenty of work to be had, but no one can spare barely a minute to show a new hire like me the ropes. When they do take a few seconds to explain something, I can’t understand a word they say under their soft, mumbling, Indian-accented voices (see post below).

On my first day I was handed a requirements document that read like gibberish and told to work on some system called UTR. Two days later I found out what UTR was short for, but its purpose eluded me for yet another two days. By the end of week I was asked how the UTR project was coming along. I just did my best deer-in-the-headlights routine and shrugged my shoulders. My boss gave me a sympathetic “yeah, that’s how things are around here” look of resignation. I trudged forward, determined to put my deductive reasoning to the test by decoding some of the most convoluted programming logic I’ve ever seen.

Now I find myself riding out an unexpected lull in my work week. Yesterday I received an urgent email telling me to cease working on the one and only project I was tasked since starting this new job over two weeks ago, and await further instructions before proceeding. Summing up the internal corporate restructuring issues that prompted a sudden halt to the project, my boss’s boss had this to say:

“My perception is that things are so chaotic on the business side that they don't even know what they want. I am 100% for embracing change, but this is lunacy.”

And with that, I find myself idle.

4 Comments:

At 6/02/2006 12:00 PM, Anonymous Canuckguy said...

Having second thoughts about jumping to this job?

 
At 6/02/2006 5:20 PM, Blogger Ace said...

Not at all. Plenty of opportunity here amid the chaos. It's definitely between than that two-bit Quebec outfit I used to work for.

 
At 6/06/2006 11:55 AM, Blogger Eddie said...

Your tales about the Indians are hilarious. I work with a really nice guy named Murtaza, and I can relate to the mumbling comments on the post below. Sadly, though, he goes by Murtaza, not Matt.

He graduated from Texas Christian University and worked in Dallas for a company that we later acquired. So, he packed his bags and agreed to move from Dallas (110 degrees, no winter) to Milwaukee (-10 degrees, long winters). We apparently paid for both his move and his visa, some 3k in fees he told me for his work papers. Now, the company we bought we are now spinning off, and he was just told he will be working for the new company out in the suburbs next year. He doesn't seem to care about that either. I think since the company is sponsoring him, he sort of just goes along with whatever kind of craziness they throw at him. Luckily for him, the new company won't require him to move. One move from the desert to the arctic is enough for any human being. Yes, he is from Bombay.

 
At 6/06/2006 7:54 PM, Blogger Ace said...

That's true; they do just go with whatever craziness gets thrown at them. When I was employed under a work visa for my first 6 years in the US, I did exactly that. Changing employers was just too much of a hassle.

I've noticed lately that more of the Indian imports are eventually returning to their motherland, rather than staying to pursue permanent residency. That's kind of a shame, considering that every highly skilled Indian who returns home is being replaced by about 500 unskilled illegals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home