Monday, February 27, 2006

I've heard you can tell a lot about a man by perusing his mp3 playlist. I wonder what a peek at some of my song selections reveals about me:
2 Live Crew - Can a Nigga Get a Table Dance
AC DC - Back In Black
AC DC - Big Gun
AC DC - Hells Bells
AC DC - Highway To Hell
AC DC - Thunderstruck
Ashlee Simpson - La La
Beastie Boys - Hey Ladies
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Bjork - Human Behavior
Britney Spears - Toxic
Chess Soundtrack - One Night in Bangkok
Daft Punk - Da Funk
Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation (JXL Remix)
Finley Quaye - Electrical Dice
Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Franz Ferdinand - This Fire
George Thorogood - 1 Bourbon, 1 Scotch, 1 Beer
Hotei Tomoyasu - Kill Bill Teaser
Jamiroquai - Canned Heat
Kid Rock - Bawitdaba
Lynard Skynard - Black Betty
Mooney Suzuki - Alive and Amplified
Ohio Players - Love Rollercoaster
Pink - Get This Party Started
PJ Harvey - Down By The Water
Presidents of the USA - Peaches
Primus - Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
Propellerheads - History Repeating
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of
Rage Against The Machine - Testify
Sarah McLachlan - Elsewhere
Sarah McLachlan - Into The Fire
Spice Girls - Who Do You Think You Are
Spirit of the West - Home For a Rest
Stan Rogers - Barrett's Privateers
The Cult - Fire Woman
The Tragically Hip - Blow At High Dough
The Tragically Hip - New Orleans Is Sinking
The Tragically Hip - Poets
The Von Bondies - C'Mon C'Mon
The White Stripes - Blue Orchid
Weezer - Hash Pipe
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

15 Comments:

At 2/28/2006 8:24 AM, Blogger BACdanielle said...

I'm down wit' that! It's pretty eclectic.

 
At 2/28/2006 10:04 AM, Blogger azgopbabeval said...

Great choices...however I NEVER in a MILLION years would have thought that Ashlee, Britney or the Spice Girls woulda made your list.
You never cease to amaze me, Ace!

 
At 2/28/2006 11:02 AM, Blogger Ace said...

For me, it's all about the rhythm of the music. I think lyrics are entirely irrelevant, which explains why I enjoy songs like Fortunate Son and Killing in the Name Of despite their obvious commie overtones. It also explains my other "uncharacteristic" selections, as you've noted. With Ashlee and Britney, La La and Toxic are by far their best respective songs. As for the Spice Girls, Who Do You Think You Are was not released as a single in North America, which I find surprising because I think it could have done very well on the charts.

You may not be familiar with some of the others because they are old favorites from my university days. The Tragically Hip is considered musically royalty in Canada, but they never broke through in the US (though a re-release of New Orleans in Sinking could have fixed that after Katrina). The band is from the same town where I attended school, so naturally I heard a lot of them. Home For A Rest is a great Irish Pub/Mosh Pit type of song from an obscure BC band. Barrett's Privateers is a Nova Scotia sea shanty. I don't know how it came to my attention, but I think it's a great song.

 
At 2/28/2006 12:45 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

Too much ACDC and not enough rap, in my opinion. However, I did enjoy your pop/top 40 picks.

 
At 2/28/2006 3:10 PM, Blogger Ace said...

With very few exceptions, I believe Rap and its twin sibling HipHop are the most heinous forms of "music" ever devised by man. 70's Funk I'm quite fond of, but I'd rather listen of babies crying over bagpipes than be subjected to Rap.

As for AC/DC, I can think of at least 6 more classics I should add to the list.

 
At 2/28/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

Please don't, I am going to think of you as Beavis, or was that Butthead, that wore the ACDC shirt?

I am sure there is plenty of hip hop on the radio in North Phoenix.

At least give me this, Tu Pac was great.

 
At 3/01/2006 11:14 AM, Blogger azgopbabeval said...

WOW! A battle over tastes in music.
I think we should agree that "to each his own" is acceptable here. He isn't asking YOU to listen to his ipod, just sharing his ecclectisism with us.
I am sure you wouldnt approve of my play list, either, as within the last 20 minutes I have listened to everything from Johnny Cash to Britney to Chris Botti & Bing Crosby. Not one RAP song. :oD

 
At 3/01/2006 12:24 PM, Blogger Ace said...

Tupac was great? If by "great" you mean "over-rated", then yes he was great.

Don't be too offended. My tastes are a little odd, I know. I once told someone I thought The Beatles were hacks and I swear I was seconds from getting punched in the face.

(By the way, The Beatles suck ass.)

 
At 3/02/2006 12:40 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

Oh, I only comment in good humor. I would tend to second your thoughts about the Beatles, though. I have never been a fan. I mean, is there really anything original about living in a yellow submarine?

I guess they could probably be described as the original boy band.

 
At 3/02/2006 12:52 PM, Blogger azgopbabeval said...

FINALLY, something we all agree on. I've had guys never talk to me again because I thought the Beatles were WAY over-rated.
jeez.

 
At 3/02/2006 3:01 PM, Blogger Ace said...

Mop haired bastards.

 
At 3/03/2006 12:44 PM, Anonymous Canuckguy said...

Well, where are the Cowboy Junkies???

 
At 3/04/2006 11:22 AM, Blogger Ace said...

You've got to be kidding me.

 
At 3/05/2006 8:47 PM, Anonymous Canuckguy said...

This coming from a guy who lists, without shame, Britney, Ashlee and the Spice Girls?

 
At 3/06/2006 8:39 AM, Blogger Ace said...

Touche.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home