Friday, January 13, 2006

If you're a regular reader of my blog, you're probably aware that I differ from many of my conservative friends on the issue of gay marriage. Most of the common arguments against redefining traditional notions of marriage make little sense to me, mainly because they are logically inconsistent and rely too heavily upon religious doctrine. That said, one of the few points that did resonate with me, which was roundly denounced by gay advocates as a narrow response by closed-minded homophobes, was the concern that allowing gays to marry would set off a domino effect. First come the queers, then the polygamists, then the pedophiles, etc, etc...until soon every closeted group will feel free to argue that an open society should permit marriage to whomever or whatever.

Suddenly, I hear a little less scoffing. Three law professors from my alma mater authored a study commissioned by the Canadian Dept. of Justice that calls for removing the polygamy ban from the criminal code. As the chief author of the study puts it, "In light of the fact that we have a fairly permissive society...why are we singling out that particular form of behaviour for criminalization?"

The traditional marriage defenders should have their "I told you so" faces on today.

4 Comments:

At 1/14/2006 12:03 PM, Anonymous Canuck Guy said...

At least one of the authors is a woman. I wonder where her head's at. While we are pushing respecting cultural traditions from other lands, hey, why not allow female circumcision? So what are the other two authors? Mormons?, Muslims? You seem to know them.

 
At 1/14/2006 2:32 PM, Blogger Ace said...

No, I don't know the authors. They just happen to teach at the same university I attended many years ago.

I'm waiting for them to publish a follow-up study calling into question the illegality of marrying and fornicating with livestock. Canada is supposed to be a fairly permissive society, after all.

 
At 1/16/2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Eddie said...

I read recently that the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that "swingers clubs," even open to the public, are completely legal. I could never imagine that. I guess though, in a land where the age of consent is 14, that shouldn't be surprising, though.

 
At 1/17/2006 12:42 PM, Anonymous Canuck Guy said...

Regarding livestock, well to paraphase Trudeau, "The government has no business in the barns of the nation...". However why marry the cow when the milk is free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home