Friday, November 18, 2005

Some of you may recall a blog entry from January of this year, where I made the following resolution:
I firmly resolve that this year I will come up with a concrete plan to put my career on a new and exciting course.
With all the bustle from my real estate moves and my office closure I haven’t had much time to dedicate to fulfilling my resolution. Until now, that is.

After taking stock of my career and doing some much needed introspection, I have decided to submit an application to graduate school, specifically the Master of Science in Information Management program at Arizona State University. It’s a 12 month evening-only program designed for working IT professionals who wish to further their careers in the area of information technology management. Overall, it seems to be a good fit for me, as the admissions committee is looking for candidates with several years of tech experience and some business background, either from an academic or professional environment. For someone like me who’s looking to move away from the day to day minutiae of systems coding, this sort of program is ideal.

The more I think about the prospect of going back to school, the more I’m convinced that there may be no other time like the present: I have relatively few responsibilities (i.e. no brats to feed and clothe), I have plenty of free time on my hands, I just bought a new house that is essentially worry-free for the next few years, and now that I’m a permanent resident of the US I don’t have to get a separate student visa to study while I work. I’m seeing very little downside in this option, which is more than I can say for the many other things I’ve thought of venturing into the past few years.

3 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 3:55 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

good luck!

 
At 11/21/2005 9:23 AM, Blogger BACdanielle said...

That's great! Congratulations!

 
At 11/21/2005 12:39 PM, Blogger Ace said...

No congrats are due. I haven't even been accepted into the program yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home