Sunday, October 09, 2005

I joined NetWorthIQ today. It’s a neat little site, sort of like Quicken meets BlogSpot. Members use the site to catalogue and track the progress of their net worth, and share that precious information with the whole world, if they so choose.

I haven’t decided if I’m going open my profile to the public. I’m not bashful; frankly, I’m proud of what I’ve accumulated after arriving penniless in the Land of the Free just seven short years ago. Unfortunately, I know there are a few regular visitors to this blog who would think differently of me if they knew how much I make and how much I’ve squirreled away. Not that I’m some sort of gazillionaire or anything (I’m not, though if I follow my current track I will be a millionaire before turning grey, at least on paper). The point is some people I deal with on a regular basis are conditioned to use money as the ruler in a perennial dick measuring contest. It doesn’t matter if the relative size of my portfolio makes me a big, swinging success or a tiny, flaccid failure. Either way, someone is going to regard me differently, as petty and immature as that may be.

5 Comments:

At 10/10/2005 7:26 AM, Blogger Eddie said...

I don't mind sharing my net worth. Like yourself, I am very proud of what I squirrel away and the returns I get on that money. In fact, if I marry my girlfriend, which will probably happen, the two of us will be worth about 120k combined (and counting) and I am only 29 and she's only 28. She has more stocked away than I do, but she came from a much more privileged background and didn't have the hurdles I had to overcome either.

 
At 10/10/2005 11:59 AM, Blogger Ace said...

My wife brought $0 in assets and $22,000 in student loans into the marriage. Suffice to say, she can be sure I didn't marry her for money.

 
At 10/10/2005 12:31 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

When I first started dating her, she had 7k in a bank account (earning less than 1/2%) and was only contributing 8% to her 401k plan, even though she makes 20k more than I do. On top of that, she had a car loan at 6%.

Now she maxes out her 401(k), maxes out a Roth IRA she set up w/my assistance, and put the 7k into Procter and Gamble stock account (she did that on her own). It helps to date a CPA.

 
At 10/13/2005 7:26 PM, Blogger Alsymer said...

Ace, thanks for signing up on NetworthIQ and thanks as well for blogging it! As one of the NetworthIQ creators, it's a bit embarassing to have my net worth out there for all to see, yet it seems the only honest thing to do. We're hoping that the community will be more inclined to share experience and knowledge and less likely to use their net worth profiles as a yardstick for measuring up each other. At the same time, if you've got it, flaunt it!

Welcome aboard! And send us feedback if you think we can do anything better to help you out (other than sending you money). :-)

 
At 10/14/2005 2:07 PM, Blogger Ace said...

Thanks for stopping by, Alsymer. You site is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home