Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Office politics can be fun sometimes...

My basketcase client in Florida offered me a job today. The verbatim conversation went like this:
Client: Would you be interested in coming to work for us?

Ace: No.

Client: Why not?

Ace: Because your boss is a psychopath.

Client: Oh...(long pause)...do you know of anyone who might be interested?

Ace: No.
It's been several years since I declined a job offer. Though I'm usually quite flattered when such offers come my way, I took some perverse pleasure in squashing this one vigorously, as the client's boss truly is a psychopath. He berated me in an unprovoked fit of rage during my last on-site visit back in February. After which, I packed up my things and headed straight to the airport, never to return. Now the psychopath has backed himself into a corner by horribly mismanaging his IT staff, and has unwittingly made me an essential and indispensible resource in the process. Not a very smart move, considering I'm an outside vendor who's unbeholden to him. Hence, the job offer.

1 Comments:

At 8/04/2005 12:58 PM, Blogger azgopbabeval said...

Good job, Ace. We wouldnt let you move to FL anyway...You might get eaten by a 'gator. Then what would we do?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home