Thursday, June 23, 2005


I’ve been delinquent in attending to this blog of late, as it’s been nearly a month since my last posting.

It’s been busy the last several weeks, with mother in town and a slew of pesky home beautification projects underway. I’ll be listing my house for sale in about 6 weeks or so. The construction on the new house is moving along briskly, as is the price. My model has already appreciated 10% since February, and I’m certain the appraisal will show the actual appreciation somewhere in the 25% range by the time the house is completed this fall.

Having been raised in an area of the world where homeowners are lucky to see a 25% rise in value over a couple of decades, it has taken me some time to get accustomed to living in such a brisk housing market as Phoenix’s. Though I still think one should primarily approach a home purchase as a cost control measure rather than as an equity appreciation investment, I consider myself lucky to have switched to the latter strategy by jumping on the booming market bandwagon nearly 3 years ago. I expect things will slow down in Phoenix sometime over the next couple of years, but until then I’ll happily scoop up some plump equity gains.

The events of the past month have also brought some disappointment. I’m afraid my tenure as a member of the Arizona Young Republicans is over. In March, two factions emerged to vie for leadership of the organization, culminating in a bitter election battle heading into the June convention. Being closely aligned with the more sensible and less ruthless of the two groups, I unfortunately found myself on the losing end of the fight. Shortly thereafter, I resigned as head of the Phoenix YR chapter and openly questioned the new leadership’s strategy for the club. I was promptly rewarded for my candor by being removed from the Arizona delegation to the national YR convention in Las Vegas next month. I was also stripped of my status as a voting member of the club due to my lack of citizenship, a technical requirement of membership which had been waived until now.

Prior to my YR involvement, it had been several years since I participated in a grassroots political organization at a leadership level. I forgot exactly how petty the internal politics of such groups can be, particularly when dealing with recalcitrant and autocratic individuals. On the plus side, I met several smart, interesting people who I am proud to call my friends.

Oh, and yes, I am still going to Vegas. I won’t be at the convention, but I will be at the roulette tables.

3 Comments:

At 6/24/2005 11:34 AM, Blogger BACdanielle said...

Ace:

I have really enjoyed getting to know you and Andrea this year. What an addition to our team you make! You were so instrumental at synthesizing our thoughts into a solid platform. As well, I have enjoyed reading your blog.

It is quite clear that the current leadership of the AZYRL doesn't know what it is missing. That sorry bunch can't seem to muster 1/2 the enthusiasm for the YRs as you have shown. They seem to like to be bogged down by procedure. They don't realize AZYRL is not the workings of the upper Rep. party administration, but rather this is a HOBBY!

 
At 7/01/2005 10:25 AM, Blogger azgopbabeval said...

Danielle, I am afraid that you aren't following Roberts Rules of Order- You need to ask PERMISSION to speak first.
DUH- what would Mr. Roboto, fingernails & Ms. Mullet do if they were here!
ORDER, ORDER! And of course, no fun!

Seriously, Ace, I got to know you while I was living in Vegas- you were always so encouraging, and your love & loyalty for our party has been shamed because of one minor detail. It is discouraging that you are being treated as though you are a member of Al Queda, instead of a soon-to-be American citizen. Thankfully, we know that you will still be out in full force to support candidates with or without the support of the AYRL. Our small, dedicated group has always gotten more accomplished than the former or current administration ever will dream of.

 
At 7/01/2005 10:38 AM, Blogger Ace said...

So many kind words. I am humbled.

No Roberts Rules here. Also, you are allowed to drink as much as you like. Imagine how much we could accomplish if we all reached that pleasantly buzzed stage, right Danielle?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home