Thursday, February 24, 2005

I resisted getting a cellphone for many years. Their obvious utility aside, I always thought of them as the obnoxious tools of pretentious yuppies. Now that they’re so ubiquitous, not to mention dirt cheap, my opposition has softened: I finally broke down and got my own phone.

What’s that? Did someone just say, “Welcome to 1997, Ace”? Hey, watch the smart mouth!

Anyway, now that I’m officially a denizen of the Wireless World, it occurred to me that many of the important sounding one-sided conversations I hear from people barking into their cells are probably not that significant at all. Take my call to the wife last night, for instance. I was saying things like, “He’s probably the leading candidate in the race”, and, “I’m not sure he’s got what it takes to pull it off”, and “he’s got to start thinking outside the box”, and, “well, isn’t that a contractual violation?” Were we discussing some executive level hire, or brokering a political deal? Hardly. We were actually talking about the finals of Bravo Channel’s fashion reality show, Project Runway.

What’s that? Did someone just say, “I thought you were straight, Ace”? Again with the smart mouth, eh?

As I was saying, the wife and I were discussing something entirely banal, yet to a casual eavesdropper it might appear from my phrasing that we were power players. I’ll keep this lesson in mind the next time I think I overhear something notable or salacious from a wireless corporate yuppie sitting next to me in the airport.

5 Comments:

At 2/24/2005 9:44 AM, Blogger BACdanielle said...

Ha! That is totally funny! I know, cell phone people can be totally obnoxious.

I know a person who answers every call -- even in the middle of dinner and at the movies. Grrr.

I try to not answer it when I am with folks and I usually let people know that I'm expecting a call.

That said they sure are convenient!

 
At 2/28/2005 1:26 PM, Blogger azgopbabeval said...

I have always had a cell phone. My parents got me one when i was in High School, so that I could be reached at all hours of the day & night...now, I don't have one. I like it that no one can reach me. There is the occasional moment when i wish I had one, but then remembering the feeling of having an electronic leash, the moment passes.
But welcome to 1997, Ace! Congratulations...Now if I could just bring myself back up to the 21st Century...

 
At 2/28/2005 3:13 PM, Blogger Ace said...

I've also noticed this cellphone thingy feeds my miserly compulsions; I'm becoming a terrible "minutes" hawk. My wife and I share a joint plan, so I find myself constantly nagging her to not waste minutes on this or that.

 
At 3/01/2005 4:12 PM, Blogger azgopbabeval said...

PS- I love the usage of the word "eh"...Its been a while since my last visit to Canada. Makes me remember why I don't go there very often.
(Kidding, Ace. SMILE!)

 
At 3/02/2005 12:29 PM, Blogger Ace said...

I don't go there very often either. If my family didn't all live there, I'd probably stop going back altogether.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home