Friday, July 30, 2004

The Dems’ love-fest is over, finally. I’m not about to refute the cargo load of lies I heard this week, suffice to say that I’d be blogging until Election Day if I deigned to try. One thing did strike me from last night’s grand finale acceptance speech, though. It was what Botox said, and didn’t say:
I ask you to judge me by my record: As a young prosecutor, I fought for victim's rights and made prosecuting violence against women a priority. When I came to the Senate, I broke with many in my own party to vote for a balanced budget, because I thought it was the right thing to do. I fought to put a 100,000 cops on the street.

And then I reached across the aisle to work with John McCain, to find the truth about our POW's and missing in action, and to finally make peace with Vietnam.
Doesn’t that record seem a little light? It did to politico extraordinaire, Dick Morris:
Beyond a brief allusion to his efforts for crime victims and to prosecute crimes against women as an assistant district attorney, his support for Clinton's plan for extra cops and a balanced budget and a reference to his work with John McCain on the POW and MIA issue in Vietnam, that's it.

What did this man do as an adult? What happened during his service as Michael Dukakis' lieutenant-governor in Massachusetts and in his 20 years in the United States Senate?

What bills did he introduce? What initiatives did he sponsor? Which investigations did he lead? What amendments bear his name? What great debates did he participate in?

What did he do for his constituents in Massachusetts? What businesses did he persuade to come to the Bay State? Which elderly did he help get their Social Security benefits? What injustices did he correct?
In discussing his record, Botox eschewed overt appeals to his rabid faithful, opting instead to carefully cherry-pick and showcase a couple of his votes that might hit home with at least a few wavering independents and moderates. There was no mention of the Senate votes that placed him amongst the most liberal legislators in Washington. Following all of his waxing nostalgic over Vietnam, there was no proud talk of his two decades of opposition to numerous defense technology initiatives, nor of his failed attempts to gut the budget of the intelligence community.

Last night, Botox asked Americans to judge him on his record, then avoided telling them of his record, lest they interpret it as a testament of his vacillation and weakness on national security. This is a gigantic logical rift, one which the Bush/Cheney camp will undoubtedly seize upon in the coming weeks of the campaign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home