Thursday, April 08, 2004

Interesting story on the wire about Princeton University’s attempts to curb rampant grade inflation. According the school’s Dean, 65% of graduating seniors had an average of ‘B+’ or greater, and less than 5% scored below a ‘B-‘. Gee, what does one have to do to get a ‘C’ in the Ivy League these days? Turn in term papers with crayon fonts and urine stains?

I’ve always found the grade inflation phenomenon fascinating. Having attended an undergraduate university with a reputation for tough grading standards, I’ve often wondered if I would have faired better grade-wise had I enrolled in a different sort of institution.

Normally I’m not one to dwell on such nostalgia, however, the grades issue has reared its ugly head once again, as I am thinking seriously about pursuing graduate studies some time over the next couple of years. Studying what exactly? I haven’t decided yet. All I know is my brain is slipping slowly into the realm of atrophy. Time for something new to keep my juices flowing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home