Monday, October 27, 2003

Oh, where to begin…

I’m overjoyed that the Middle East turbulence is finally coming to an end. Who could have guessed that all it would take to erase decades of violence and ingrained hatred is a secret peace junket by Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston. As I heard the happy news, I was overcome with feelings of glee.

“Peace in the Middle East!”, I cried out, stunned by the announcement. From my window I could hear my neighbors, sharing the moment:

Oh, what a glorious day! Thank you, Hollywood Superstars! Thank you!

Forget the Oscar hunt, Brad and Jenn. Here’s to next year’s Nobel Peace Prize!

People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive? No, no, Brad Pitt’s the Messiah, I tell you. The Messiah!

Then again, maybe I shouldn’t get my hopes up. As one Israeli academic noted when informed of Hollywood’s plan to host a colossal kumbaya love-fest in the West Bank: “…this is an incredibly complex situation and I am afraid they are naïve.”

That, Professor, is the epitome of understatement indeed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home